Church of the Holy Cross

The Church Of The Holy Cross was built in 1850-1852 using Pise de Terre (rammed earth); an exceptionally beautiful example of Victorian High Gothic Revival Style. The north window is dedicated to parishioners who served in the Armed Services. The south window over the choir loft depicts angel musicians; St Christopher graces the bell tower lobby. The organ was constructed by renowned, 19th century organ maker, Henry Erben. It is one of the few Erben organs in the United States. Installed in 1851; it is electrified and still in use. The church bell, cast in Holland, was installed in 1956. One of few "named bells" in the country, it honors Mary Virginia Saunders White; Mary Virginia is cast into the bell. Among the many quaint tombs in the churchyard, one of the most interesting is that of Joel R. Poinsett, botanist who brought the Poinsettia to the United States. He died in 1851.The Church was named a National Historic Treasure in 1978. It has weathered many of nature's assaults. In 2001, termite infestation ravaged the building. It wasn't until 2010 that repair and reconsecration were completed.

Share the Light and Share Our Story...
For more information, please visit:
www.HolyCrossStateburg.com
(Total Items: 8 )
Christmas Blessings
$19.99
Ad Altare Dei
$19.99
Stained Glass Beauty
$19.99
Heavenly Path
$19.99
Candy Cane Delight
$19.99
Pumpkin Chai
$19.99
Church of the Holy Cross Six Pack
$114.94